The Shankaracharya Temple, located in the southeast Srinagar, dedicated to Lord Shiva the main temple however is located on the summit of the Takt-e-Suleiman hill overlooking Srinagar town. It is located at 1100 ft. above surface level of the main city on the Shankaracharya hill. The Shiva temple, as Kalhana believes, was constructed by Raja Gopadatya in 371 B.C. and, as such, is the oldest shrine in Kashmir, though it is not certain if the temple exists in the same form as it had been built more than two thousands years ago.
The first repair of the temple is believed to have been undertaken during the reign of Lalitaditya in the eighth century A.D. According to the historian Shrivara, Zain-ul-Abideen conducted second repairs of the temple after it had been damaged in an earthquake. The third time repair was undertaken during the Governorship of Sheikh Mohi-ud-Din when the temple is believed to have been named as Shankaracharya. Dogra ruler, Maharaja Gulab Singh, constructed stone stairs upto the temple. In 1925, the temple was electrified. The temple, besides a prominent Hindu religious place, is of great archaeological importance. The temple commands a magnificient panoramic view of the Srinagar City.
Shankaracharya of Jammu & Kashmir is quite popular not only in India but also in the entire world. This is due to the reason because the temple of Shankaracharya symbolizes the very core of rituals that form the base of Hindu faith. Be it the chanting of slokas or be it the offering of prayers to the presiding deity, Shankaracharya represents the the traditional beliefs and customs of Hinduism. This temple stands on a solid rock and consists of an octagonal basement of 13 layers. Each of the four sides has two projections which terminate in pediment and agable, the latter intersecting the main roof half way up its slope. The body of the temple is surrounded by a terrace enclosed by a stone wall or parapet, 3.5 feet high. This in following the outline of the basement, preserves its octagonal shape. From the terrace another flight often steps leads to the door of the temple. The interior is a chamber, circular in plan, with a basin containing a lingam. The whole of the building is of stone, which is laid throughout in horizontal courses, no cement appearing to have been used.